Saturday 20 February 2010

Two Questions for you and for me?? Have you arrived at (1). some state of sinless perfection?? Or (2). do you want to make real progress in the direct

Two Questions for you and for me?? Have you arrived at (1). some state of sinless perfection?? Or (2). do you want to make real progress in the direction of becoming a Saint???
If your answer is number one then please do not bother to download and read the Philokalia.(The Love of Good) 1246 pages of Bible Based instructions!
On the other hand if you want to make some real progress with your walk with the Lord, then please do read study and digest the Philokalia with the same enthusiasm as the Pilgrim in the 19th century as he trudged his way around Russia on his way to Odessa and then to Jerusalem and then to Eternity
The Way of a Pilgrim which has nothing to do with Pilgrim's progress By John Bunyan, can be purchased at your local book store or from Amazon.com for about 10US$.
For me my first lesson is that these studies and observations have shown me just how little I really know about applying the Word of God to my life.
There is no doubt about it, I am a sinner and a pretty big sinner at that.
This set of Instructions by a group of Dessert Monks of the 4th century will not only point out graphically what your problems and sins are, but will also very helpfully show you how to overcome them.
It is a real lesson on Humility and has come very generously none to soon as I am now moving towards the very end of my life here on earth. I could live another 10 years or 10 months or 10 weeks or 10 days or 10 hours or 10 minutes or 10 seconds.. Only God knows but I do realise time is short for all of us because we do not know when that moment will be when we are confronted with the STOP sign from which there is no going back and only forward in the realm of the Spirit.
Let me give you just one example... Mixed Motives!!!
I have been admitting recently that I am a chief of sinners!
I realise that this a humble thing to say, but am I saying this to show you all how humble I am or do I really mean it?
These teachings from the Dessert Fathers will show you all about yourself (Alarmingly Truthful!) and all about how to get close to Jesus and thus really be able to help others, never looking down on them and never lifting oneself up.
It will make one aware of all the danger signals and how to cope with them.
It is not about retreating into solitary confinement where there is nobody to bother you but all about dealing with the every day occurrences of frustration and difficult situations and battles that occur so regularly in the lives of you and me.
Just Google Philakolia and choose the best on line download of these amazing and remarkable teachings.
If you can't find one let me know and I will try and find out exactly where I got my full unabridged copy.
God bless you!!! Have a wonderful first day of the rest of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment