Saturday 14 April 2012

The daily Gospel for Mercy Sunday 15th of April 2012

Some of my favourite passages. Not very popular to my dear prot brothers as there is a direct reference to apostles having the right and authority to forgive and to retain sins.. thus the Roman Catholic Sacrament of confession and this bit in Acts is also very unpopular as it talks about sharing your wealth.. Dear prots I guess you have to white those bits out of your Bible. I love you all the same..

I agree with you though my Church is corrupt in the extreme and has many Pharisees as members and priests BUT it is the one that Jesus in spite of all this wickedness is maintaining and building.. Check out Matthew Ch 16 verse 18..."""I will build my church!"""

[18] And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. [19] And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven. [20] Then he commanded his disciples, that they should tell no one that he was Jesus the Christ.

[18] Thou art Peter: As St. Peter, by divine revelation, here made a solemn profession of his faith of the divinity of Christ; so in recompense of this faith and profession, our Lord here declares to him the dignity to which he is pleased to raise him: viz., that he to whom he had already given the name of Peter, signifying a rock, St. John 1. 42, should be a rock indeed, of invincible strength, for the support of the building of the church; in which building he should be, next to Christ himself, the chief foundation stone, in quality of chief pastor, ruler, and governor; and should have accordingly all fulness of ecclesiastical power, signified by the keys of the kingdom of heaven.

[18] Upon this rock: The words of Christ to Peter, spoken in the vulgar language of the Jews which our Lord made use of, were the same as if he had said in English, Thou art a Rock, and upon this rock I will build my church. So that, by the plain course of the words, Peter is here declared to be the rock, upon which the church was to be built: Christ himself being both the principal foundation and founder of the same. Where also note, that Christ, by building his house, that is, his church, upon a rock, has thereby secured it against all storms and floods, like the wise builder, St. Matt. 7. 24, 25.

[18] The gates of hell: That is, the powers of darkness, and whatever Satan can do, either by himself, or his agents. For as the church is here likened to a house, or fortress, built on a rock; so the adverse powers are likened to a contrary house or fortress, the gates of which, that is, the whole strength, and all the efforts it can make, will never be able to prevail over the city or church of Christ. By this promise we are fully assured, that neither idolatry, heresy, nor any pernicious error whatsoever shall at any time prevail over the church of Christ.

----- Forwarded Message -----
From: DGO
To: michaeljaffrayk@yahoo.co.uk
Sent: Sunday, 15 April 2012, 0:17
Subject: The Daily Gospel
DAILY GOSPEL
«Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.» John 6:68

Sunday, 15 April 2012
Second Sunday of Easter (Divine Mercy Sunday) - Year B

Feast of the Church : Second Sunday of Easter, Divine Mercy Sunday
Saint(s) of the day : St Paternus, Bishop (5th century)

See commentary below or click here
Saint Basil of Seleucia : "We have seen the Lord"

Acts of the Apostles 4:32-35.

The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common.
With great power the apostles bore witness to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great favor was accorded them all.
There was no needy person among them, for those who owned property or houses would sell them, bring the proceeds of the sale,
and put them at the feet of the apostles, and they were distributed to each according to need.

Psalms 118(117):2-4.16ab-18.22-24.

Let the house of Israel say,
"His mercy endures forever."
Let the house of Aaron say, God's love endures forever.
Let those who fear the LORD say,
"His mercy endures forever."

"The right hand of the LORD has struck with power;
the right hand of the LORD is exalted.
I shall not die, but live,
and declare the works of the LORD."

Though the LORD has indeed chastised me,
yet he has not delivered me to death.
The stone which the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone.

By the LORD has this been done;
it is wonderful in our eyes.
This is the day the LORD has made;
let us be glad and rejoice in it.



First Letter of John 5:1-6.

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is begotten by God, and everyone who loves the father loves (also) the one begotten by him.
In this way we know that we love the children of God when we love God and obey his commandments.
For the love of God is this, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome,
for whoever is begotten by God conquers the world. And the victory that conquers the world is our faith.
Who (indeed) is the victor over the world but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
This is the one who came through water and blood, Jesus Christ, not by water alone, but by water and blood. The Spirit is the one that testifies, and the Spirit is truth.

Holy Gospel of Jesus Christ according to Saint John 20:19-31.

On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, «Peace be with you.»
When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord.
(Jesus) said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you."
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the holy Spirit.
Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained."
Thomas, called Didymus, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.
So the other disciples said to him, "We have seen the Lord." But he said to them, "Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nailmarks and put my hand into his side, I will not believe."
Now a week later his disciples were again inside and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, although the doors were locked, and stood in their midst and said, "Peace be with you."
Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe."
Thomas answered and said to him, "My Lord and my God!"
Jesus said to him, "Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed."
Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of (his) disciples that are not written in this book.
But these are written that you may (come to) believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through this belief you may have life in his name.


Copyright © Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, USCCB



Commentary of the day :

Saint Basil of Seleucia (?-c.468), bishop
Sermon for the Resurrection

"We have seen the Lord"

While hiding in a house, the apostles see Christ; he entered, all the doors being shut. But Thomas, who was absent at that time..., shuts his ears and wants to open his eyes... He bursts out with his incredulity, hoping, in this way, his desire will be answered. «My doubts are not going to disappear until I see him,» he says. «I shall put my finger in the marks of the nails and embrace this Lord of mine whom I long for so much. Let him reproach my lack of faith but let him satisfy me with sight of him. For now I am unbelieving but, when I see him, I shall believe. I shall believe when I clasp him in my arms and gaze on him. I want to see the holes in those hands that have healed the hands of Adam's wrongdoing. I want to see the side that cast out death from mankind's side. I want to be my own witness to the Lord and another's testimony is not enough for me. Your tales aggravate my impatience. The joyful news you bring does nothing but stir up my turmoil. I shall not be cured of this sickness unless I touch its medicine with my own hands.»

The Lord appeared again and dispelled both the sadness and the doubt of his disciple. What am I saying? He did not dispel his doubts, he fulfilled his expectation. He entered, all the doors being shut.






Make a donation | Manage subscription | Contact us | Unsubscribe

----------------------------------------
The DGO is sent every day to more than 470.000 subscribers !
Do you want to help us maintain this free service? The Daily Gospel is free of charge, but it is not free of cost. Make a tax-deductible donation directly at "The Daily Gospel", 6375 New Hope RD, New Hope, KY 40052. USA. Thank you and God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment